When you have receding gums, your teeth can become more sensitive, and they can even become loose. If you don’t treat your receding gums, you could lose your teeth. Your dentist in Hudson and Orrville OH can help you get the treatment you need. Here’s what you need to know about treatment for receding gums.
What Causes Receding Gums?
There are many things that can cause gum recession, including:
- Brushing your teeth too hard. Brushing your teeth too hard can cause your gums to recede over time. When brushing your teeth, it’s important to brush with gentle strokes and use a soft bristle toothbrush.
- Dental injury. Dental injury can do damage to your gums – damage that’s hard to repair. Depending on what the injury is, this can cause gum recession.
- Dental disease. Dental disease like gum disease causes gum recession over time. If you have the symptoms of gum disease, it’s important to talk to the dentist as soon as possible. Your dentist can treat your gum disease and hopefully save your gums.
- Smoking. Smoking can do harm to your teeth and gums in a variety of ways. Gum recession is one of the potential consequences of smoking. If you need help quitting smoking, talk to your doctor for smoking cessation tips.
- Genetics. If your parents had receding gums, then there’s a chance you may have it too. Follow your dentist’s advice to take care of your gums.
If your have receding gums, it may be that you need periodontal disease treatment in Hudson and Orrville, OH. At Village Dental, we provide periodontal disease treatment and preventative dentistry to stop your gums from receding, and to promote good gum health. Call today to make an appointment.